Thursday, April 5, 2012

The day I learned I had a son

I wanted to blog about the day we were matched with Gabriel (for that is what we are naming him, we will call him Gabe), so that I can remember it forever. It started out like any other day. I was working a day shift at the hospital, thankfully I was training a new nurse, because when the call came in he took over because I was checked out! Around twelve, I sent the new nurse to lunch while I watched our patients. Just before he was suppose to get back, the secretary told me I had a phone call, "I think it's your husband Jeremy." My heart started racing, I thought that something was wrong, or that someone had died. Jeremy never and I mean never calls me at work. He always calls my cell phone ( which I leave in my locker), and leaves a voice mail. I thought one of his grandmothers was sick, there had been an accident or something tragic like that. You may be wondering the reason why I did not think it was adoption related. Well because a few weeks earlier we heard from our agency that Korea had put everything on hold for two months to "clear up" some paper work and some of the back log of visas. When we heard this we were afraid that this might be the end of the adoption process for us, since there is talk of S. Korea closing their doors to international adoption. We had started to prepare for this. That is why I was caught off guard when I picked up the phone, heart in my chest, and heard Jeremy say, "We got a call."
My response, "THE call, like they have a baby for us?"
"Yes, but there are a few conditions."
Mind you, Jeremy is speaking the slowest I have ever heard him speak in my whole life! I just wanted to know what these "conditions" were. My head was spinning. Several things ran through my head like; a heart condition, maybe cleft lip or palate, he is missing fingers, hands or toes? He then tells me of the "conditions" which it turns out, I did not find them to be "conditions" at all. Simply that he is biracial and has a half brother that they would like to try and have contact with, and we had to be open to that! Uh duh, of courses, he sounds wonderful!
I say to Jeremy "Well I say yes, do you?"
He said "Yes of course."
"So what are you waiting for call them back and say yes, quick!"
Then the tears start flowing, I can't stop myself, at the nurses station with all my co-workers looking on I am bawling like a baby. Questions of "who died" and "whats wrong" are being thrown my way. My good friend Mary Beth, who knows whats going on ( she was one of our references), is also crying and smiling.
" You got one?" she says.
"We have a baby"
When I hung up, I noticed quiet an audience, so I spill the beans to everyone there so that they know that no one has died. Of course now everyone is crying and I am like I have to call my mom. I quickly call my mom ( on Mary Beth's phone because I don't have her number memorized as it is just programmed into my phone, bad I know!),I call her and proceed to tell her about him. She is now crying and I start all over again. I quickly hang up because I can barely speak due to crying and patients families are starting to look at me like I have three heads! After I hang up and try gain some composure, my poor trainee came back from lunch to find me bawling and was quite confused, I explain to him what is going on and try to get back to work. Key word try! About fifteen minutes later the secretary again tells me that Jeremy is on the phone.
"Honey do you have a computer nearby, because there is a picture in your email."
"Okay, I am going to look right now."
I pull up my email, and there he is! The most beautiful baby I have ever seen. My baby, my beautiful baby boy. Again more tears and everyone gathers to check him out! Everyone agrees he is adorable! At this point I am no longer at work, I am miles away in Korea thinking about this wonderful blessing from God. I say a pray of gratitude for this wonderful blessing, for my answered prayers. Then the news spreads like wild fire. My friend Kelly Jo (also another reference), is taking a picture with her I phone so that I can text the picture to our families. She is also telling every one that walks by about the good news. She even answers the phone and tells the PA calling that could he" please wait a minute because a nurse up here just found out that she is able to adopt a son, so we are having a moment up here!" It was pretty much the talk of the day. Although I told everyone not to talk about it too much because we hadn't done all the official acceptance paper work, people just couldn't contain themselves. Even Sis Margaret from pastoral care was notified of the good news, so she could pray for a quick visa! Mary Beth, not a hugger or touchy feel-ey person at all, allowed me a hug that day! One of the coolest parts of the day was the secretary, who is not emotional at all and never cries, was crying and told me that she was adopted. She told me it was such a neat experience for her to be there when I got the call. It made her think about what it must have been like when her parents got the call about her. Her dad owned his own business and he never missed a day of work. The day the agency called and told them they had a baby girl for them, but they had to leave right away to go pick her up at the hospital. Her dad left right away to go and get her. It was the only day he every missed work. She got to see how exciting and wonderful the day must have been when her parents were able to be matched to her. She said she had never realized how happy they must have been. It was nice to be able to share that with her. I really feel like Heavenly Father and the spirit were there that day, and it happened the way that it did for a reason. That He loves each of his children so much, and uses us to touch each others lives in ways we never could know. It was truly a blessing and a miracle. I am so grateful to him for allowing us to be parents, and to bless us with Gabe, our own little miracle. He does answer prayers, even when we are not sure it he is listening. There are so many things about Gabe, that are a testimony to me that he is meant for our family. I am grateful for all the family and friends who have offered prayers in our behalf, and have supported us through all of our losses. Where we have been, the sorrow that we have felt, makes the joy and happiness of this day even sweeter!
The next day when I went to work, all the night shift girls with I Phones had Gabe's picture on it. The day shift girls had sent it to the night girls I work with the most. Of course more hugs and tears were shared that day! I have been on cloud nine since March 13th. Best birthday ever!!!!!!!
Here is a picture with him and his foster mom. I just can't wait to kiss those cute little cheeks.


2 comments:

Our Family said...

Natalie and Jeremy,
I am so happy for you! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I do know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I am so grateful that He loves us and showers His blessings on us!
Love,
Vicki G

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodnes!!! What a sweet, sweet baby boy!!! :D CONGRATULATIONS! And I LOVE the story of finding out you have a baby.